My Favorite Journaling Resources:
- Adams, Kathleen. 1990. Journal to the Self: Twenty-two Paths to Personal Growth. New York: Grand Central Publishing.
- Baldwin, Christina. 2007. Life’s Companion: Journal Writing As A Spiritual Practice. New York: Bantam Dell.
- Bender, Sheila. 2000. A Year in the Life: Journaling for Self-Discovery. Cincinnati, OH: Walking Stick Press.
- DeSalvo, Louise. 1999. Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Francisco, Leia. 2015. Writing Through Transitions: A Guide for Transforming Life Change Kerrville, TX: Leia Francisco Associates.
- Jacobs, Beth, PhD. 2004. Writing For Emotional Balance. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Pennebaker, James W., PhD; John F. Evans, EdD. 2014. Expressive Writing for Health. Enumclaw, WA: Idyll Arbor
- Stahura, Barbara and Susan B. Schuster, M.A., CCC-SLP. 2009. After Brain Injury: Telling Your Story. Wake Forest, NC: Lash & Associates Publishing/Training.
Other Resources Related to Programs
- The Center for Journal Therapy, founded and directed by Kathleen (Kay) Adams. I received my training as a journal facilitator here.
- The International Association of Journal Writing, which is committed to helping you write consistently, deeply and authentically to keep your journaling and life writing fresh, enjoyable and transformational. I am proud to be a member of its Journal Council.
- http://www.rickhanson.net Rick Hanson is a psychologist who teaches and writes about the “essential inner skills of personal well-being, psychological growth, and contemplative practice.” This site has a wealth of information about the brain, neuroplasticity, and how to lead a happier, more stable life. I learned a great deal from his work about how we can purposefully change our brains in positive directions.
- http://www.mehl-madrona.com Here you will meet Dr. Lewis Mehl-Madrona, author of Healing the Mind Through the Power of Story: The Promise of Narrative Psychiatry, which is the book that started me on my journey towards exploring Story. He is “interested in our creating new science that is not the same old, same old linear boredom of Newton and conventional statistics, but that uses complexity theory and quantum physics concepts to explore our world, and, more importantly, to find ways to help each other to heal and to grow and change.”